Sign up for our FREE monthly newsletter

Don't miss out on amazing content

Part of our vision is to share our expert insight and knowledge to help business owners achieve success. Sign up today!

Client PortalXERO LoginClient Services Brochure
Download our Client Services Brochure

Disincorporation Relief

06 December 17

Disincorporation relief is designed to make it easier for anyone running a private limited company to transfer the business to a sole trader or partnership. The relief is most suited to those running a small business who would prefer to carry on business without the burden of running a limited company.

Disincorporation relief is effectively a form of roll-over or deferral relief that is available when a company changes from a private limited company to an unincorporated form. The company must transfer its business to some or all of its shareholders.

In effect, the qualifying assets (land and goodwill) are transferred below market value and the shareholders then accept the reduced transfer cost for all future disposals. The company also avoids a Corporation Tax charge on the disposal of the assets.

A transfer will be a ‘qualifying transfer’ for the purposes of disincorporation relief only if:

  • The business is transferred as a going concern.
  • The business is transferred together with either all the assets of the business or all the assets of the business apart from cash.
  • The total market value of the qualifying assets at the time of the transfer does not exceed £100,000.
  • The company must transfer its business to some or all of its shareholders.
  • The transfer must be a ‘qualifying transfer’.
  • The transfer occurs between 1 April 2013 and 31 March 2018.

Disincorporation relief was originally introduced for a fixed five-year period from April 2013. There were some expectations that the relief might be extended but the government confirmed as part of the autumn Budget announcements that the relief will end on 31 March 2018.

Please get in touch if you are thinking about reverting to self employed or a partnership.


Gift Hold Over Relief

Giving away an asset and concerned about Capital Gains Tax?

Parents with Benefits

Do you claim Child Benefit and earn more than £50,000?

Basic Income Tax Reliefs

​It’s the season to be planning!